Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Kindness of Strangers

I had to preface this post with an explanation about the Nativity Store at Preston Taylor Ministries.  A few weeks before Christmas, I was amazed at the generosity of a couple I had only known for about 45 minutes.  It restored my hope in humanity in many ways.  I only hope you find a sense of hope in this story as well.


One morning before I headed off to work I was out on the town doing some Christmas shopping.  I stopped by this adorable antique shop in East Nashville (near our house) in hopes of finding something special for my mom because let's face it, there likely wasn't any antique jewelry or dish that would suit my dad's fancy.  Now, an antique tool on the other hand, maybe...


Anyways, I had been in this same store earlier that week, and in my truly indecisive nature I wondered around and around and around without purchasing anything.  Well, this day I arrived just as the store was opening.  As I roamed, admiring each beautiful item, it was just me and the couple who owned the shop.  Once again I looked, and looked without wanting to commit until the woman finally approached me hoping to offer some assistance.  I was very little help, but we decided on a pair of vintage enamel plates with a blue leaf pattern.  


As I stood at the counter waiting to pay, we made the necessary small talk.  We moved from where I am from to where I live in Nashville to why I am here to where I work and what we do, especially at Christmas.  I excitedly described the Nativity Store to this couple, and how it provides presents for our children.  The woman, Debbie, and her husband, Wayne asked if we were still accepting donations.


I said, "why yes, we are! I am doing the last minute shopping tomorrow."


Debbie reached for her fanny pack (an important distinction to be made!) and says, "we would like to contribute.  We were just talking about how we haven't given much this holiday season."


I am standing there, already thrilled because she had given me a discount on the items I was buying, and excited at the prospect of another 20, maybe $50.  To my surprise, she begins pulling out $100 bills asking her husband to count them for her.  Debbie and Wayne handed me $500 to donate to the Nativity Store.  500 DOLLARS!!!!  I stood there in disbelief and grappled for the right words to express my true appreciation.  I am pretty sure it came out in a mumble of  "this is so kind of you," "you don't have to do that," "thank you so much," and many more "thank yous."  I took their business card and hurried outside, excited to share this story (and money) at work!  


I was truly astounded by this extreme act of generosity, and trust.  People may say they were crazy for trusting some random girl who had no proof of work or no proof that she would get this money, all of it, to the right place.  That thought may have crossed my mind, but I choose to focus on the happiness, and excitement I felt in that moment.  It seriously lifted my otherwise downtrodden spirits leading up to Christmas.  Even now I find myself searching for the right words to explain my emotions.  I am just happy to share this story with y'all, a Christmas miracle...who knows?  But, it was wonderful!!!  

1 comment: